Life can get busy so quickly. With everything that gets added to the to-do list, it can be easy to run without resting. Saturday mornings can be the perfect time to lean into rest and make some special memories. While you may not have the entire day to invest, there are some Saturday morning traditions you can try to relax more. Here are 5 ways to make Saturday mornings special.
5 Ways to Make Saturday Mornings Special:
Breakfast in Bed
Breakfast in bed so often used in movies for days like holidays or mother’s day. However, breakfast in bed doesn’t have to be just for special occasions. Sometimes a Saturday morning breakfast in bed can be just what you need to relax. Even better, there are simple ways to make a low-prep recipe for this. Here is a simple overnight recipe that will be ready when you wake up.
Adapted from Feel Good Foodie
- ½ cup rolled old fashioned oats
- ½ cup milk (vegan milk can work as well)
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt (vegan yogurt can work as well)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp Organic Maple Syrup
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp pumpkin spice
- 2 tbsp crushed nuts
- Place all of the ingredients in a large glass container and mix well until combined.
- Cover the glass container with a lid or plastic wrap.
- Place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Uncover and enjoy from the glass container the next day.
- Thin with a little more milk or water as desired.
- Serve with fresh fruit and coffee.
Do a Pancake Bar
When working to make Saturday mornings special, it can help to start a new tradition. A pancake bar can be just the thing. By putting together a spread of some of your favorite pancakes and toppings, everyone can pick how they want to enjoy their pancakes. This can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be. Here are a few tips for creating a breakfast pancake bar.
4 Tips for Setting Up a Pancake Bar
- Pick the best liquid toppings – When putting together a pancake bar pick out a few varieties of wet toppings. This can include maple syrup, flavored maple syrup, or chocolate syrup.
- Change up your pancake recipe – Try a few different types of pancakes to add some variety to your pancake bar. Options such as blueberry or chocolate chip are always a hit. You can even add a special touch of flavor by adding the best maple syrup to your batter or some of your toppings. (For berries, make sure to dust with flour so they don’t all fall to the bottom of the batter.)
- Include a variety of toppings – Items such as chocolate chips, fresh berries, chopped walnuts, or cinnamon can be fantastic additions to your pancake bar. These will give you the chance to customize your pancakes to fit your style.
- Serve with a delicious drink – Add hot coffee, hot chocolate, or orange juice to your table as the perfect companion for pancakes. We’ve got some recipes for some delicious coffee drinks.
Take it Outside
Sometimes the best way to make breakfast special is to change the scenery. While the dining room table can be a great place to eat, it can be fun to try new places. Try using a griddle to make pancakes on the patio. You can also take waffles to the porch with coffee. Eating outside can be a great way to make breakfast special. Here are a few ways to enjoy breakfast outside.
3 Ways to Enjoy Breakfast Outside:
- Have a breakfast picnic – Pack a picnic basket with all the fixings for a pancake breakfast and enjoy pancakes with a sweet morning picnic.
- Make waffle sandwiches – Make a waffle sandwich with fried chicken or another savory favorite in the middle and take them to your favorite park. You can even add flavor to your favorite breakfast meat with a Maple Syrup Glaze. Add maple syrup for a sweet touch to the sandwich.
- Have a beachfront breakfast – Take your batter and pancake fixings as well as a camping stove to the beach. Make some of your favorite pancakes while enjoying the sunrise together.
Make it a themed breakfast
When trying to make memories on a Saturday morning, don’t underestimate the value of a themed breakfast. This could be as simple as theming breakfast around the meal and having a sunrise breakfast. However, you could also do a birthday breakfast or a character-themed breakfast. Each of your ingredients could be from a favorite movie or show. The options are endless but here are few tips for setting up a themed breakfast.
3 Ways to Host a Themed Breakfast:
- Have a breakfast tea – Having a breakfast tea can be a fabulous way to add a special touch to breakfast. Serve items such as a variety of teas, beignets, or pastries. Make the memories even more special by adding decorations such as teapots, teacups, and flowers.
- Theme it to a movie or show – When using a breakfast theme to a movie or show, you can add in fun touches like food items from the movie/show or foods inspired by the movie/show. Some options might include making waffles shaped like a character/item from the show.
- Have a color-themed breakfast – This might mean making everything that you eat blue or pink. The idea is to serve items like blueberry pancakes, blueberry parfaits, or even blue juices for a blue themed breakfast.
Family Breakfast Baking Time
Another way to make Saturday morning special is to create breakfast together. It can be as simple as giving each person their own job. However, you can also make it a family deal to bake the different ingredients together. This can be a great time to make memories while passing down favorite recipes. Here are a few tips for cooking breakfast together.
3 Tips for Cooking Breakfast as a Family
- Give jobs based on age – Smaller children can still help with breakfast. They are able to add in pre-measured ingredients or help with stirring. Keep it age-appropriate to keep it fun for everyone.
- Let each person make their own pancakes or waffles – When making breakfast together, it can be fun to let each person be in charge of making their own pancakes or waffles in the way they want to.
- Don’t overcomplicate it – It can be tempting to try and do a big breakfast. While that can be nice, it can also be great to prepare simple breakfasts that don’t involve multiple ingredients to be cooked. This will help you to focus on making memories and let the food preparation be a part of the moment.